Monday, August 5, 2013

"The Blueprints to Homestay Life: Why the Homestay is Nothing to Fear"

Anthony's Power Point presentation on homestay life this afternoon
This workshop was very informative and the OCs were good at jumping in to share what their own experiences had been like. There is a variety of living situations we could have but, in general, it seems that most were fairly positive experiences.

KEY INGREDIENTS TO MAKING HOMESTAY LIFE RUN AS SMOOTHLY AS POSSIBLE

  • Bring the host family gifts the day you meet them
  • Upon first meeting, ask them how they would like for you to address them
  • Upon first meeting, read over the contract/homestay letter together and have Fulbright co-teacher translate/explain particularly important parts
  • Bring the host family little gifts after coming home from weekend trips, winter vacation, etc. 
  • Immediately befriend host siblings. The Korean family life usually revolves around the children, so this will be a plus.
  • Do not burden host mom (clean up after yourself, do your own laundry, etc.)
  • Spend time with the host family (minimum one month upon joining their household!)
We received this information without knowing the specifics on our own homestay life so I absorbed every detail like a sponge. In the coming week or so, we will be given information on our homestay family!

THE HOST FAMILY OF MY DREAMS
I'm praying for a tight-knit homestay family who will wholeheartedly welcome me (eventually, if not immediately). I have heard both good stories and horror stories. I know it will be awkward at first (the OCs said this is super normal and is basically the case with everyone), but I do intend on building close relationships with my host family. I left an amazing family back home in the States and would count myself extremely blessed if I could live with a family who would be excited to meet me, see me come home every day from school, and get to know me all year-round. It will be an added bonus if my host parents can cook well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...