Friday, July 26, 2013

Surprise Celebrations for the "Half Birthdays" of Our Language Instructors!

Our first instructor for the first two hours of language instruction. I love everyone's expression here!
LANGUAGE CLASS THIS PAST WEEK: THE GOOD AND THE BAD
It's been a good week in class because I got a 20/20 on the second quiz we took on Monday! It's been a not-so-good week because we've been covering a lot of grammar. Although one of my majors is in English Language & Literature, I have to admit that grammar has always been my weakest point. It is most evident in my speech, but I can usually catch it in my writing. 

Most of this week, our class has alternated between sliding back in our chairs in exhaustion and/or resignation, or straining forward on our desks to understand a grammar rule being scrawled on the board. 

THE INNER THESPIAN IN EVERY TEACHER
Our instructors write in Hangul but supplement their teaching with English words to help us understand. They also draw in the air, act out sentences, and sometimes dance - all in order to enhance student comprehension. 

They're pretty incredible! 

On certain days, and even through my exhaustion, I can still muster a weak, internal giggle when I see them perform in front of the class because that's what they do - they perform! 

I know that I will also be called to do the same in front of my Korean students, thus me giggling. I can only hope to look as cute and adorable as them when it comes my turn! 

One of two small cakes for the instructors
DISCOVERING THAT "HALF BIRTHDAYS" EXIST
However tough, this week ended on a very good note! Our class pooled enough money together to throw surprise "half birthday" parties for both of our instructors. Apparently half birthdays are a thing. 

Me: Are half birthdays a thing??
Another ETA: [Laughs] I think the other ETAs may just really want to have a class party. 
Me: Ah...more party, less grammar lessons. I get it now...

And so it was that on Friday, our sonsaengnims (teachers) walked into class and were each greeted by a party hat, a candle-laden cake, and a happy birthday song in Korean. They seemed very pleased by our efforts, but I could see their minds whirring in the background trying to maybe figure out how to show appreciation for the surprise half-birthday parties, but also transition smoothly into the day's lesson.

Both of them were very smooth about these transitions, so we actually didn't even cut off too much time from our grammar lessons. They are so darn efficient with class time! 



Instructor putting on his birthday hat
INSTRUCTOR APOLOGIZES FOR ENGLISH ABILITY
Yesterday though, our first instructor got side-tracked (for the first time ever) discussing fun games we could play to learn how to count in Korean. We were all laughing and having a great time, when, still smiling, he began to apologize to us.

Instructor [in English]: I'm so sorry. I cannot speak English very well.
Our class: Oh! No, no! You are great! Your English is very good, sonsaengnim!
Instructor [still in English]: When I was a student, I didn't study English. I regret." 

He then proceeds to make us all very sad. Meanwhile, I am scrawling this dialogue as quickly as I can on my notebook because it just broke my heart to hear him apologize to us over and over. Our instructor, who teaches graduate students at one of Korea's top universities, apologized to us (a group of American students stumbling through Korean) for not being fluent in English. There was something definitely heartbreaking and troubling about this but I couldn't pinpoint why. Maybe it was especially painful for me to hear because he was smiling the entire time that he was apologizing. 

QUICK THOUGHTS ON LANGUAGE HIERARCHY
Our second instructor for the third and fourth hour of
language instruction. Yes, our days are quite long.
Instead of learning English, he said that he studied Japanese and knows how to speak both Korean and Japanese - pretty darn impressive! There seems to be an hierarchy of languages (and identities) here that manage to create feelings of inadequacy in not only the American students (who are grappling with an "immense loss of power" in learning Korean), but also in the Korean instructors (who may feel extremely self-conscious about their fluency in English). There's a lot to unpack here, but I did say that we ended the week on a very good note, so...

...we partied! And it was definitely a welcome break from the usual order of things. 

MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU
Have you ever apologized for not being able to communicate well in a different language? If you have never felt the need to, why is that? Who were you talking to and what was the language in question? If you have, what compelled you to apologize? Again, who were you talking to, and what was the language in question?

Do you think anyone should ever apologize for not being able to communicate (speak/read/write) well in a different language? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comment box below.

4 comments:

  1. At least somebody made his day by celebrating his half birthday? But that is just being polite and of him to apologized. The person who needs to apologize is the person who makes fun or bully the person who's trying to communicate his/her best to speak a second language. I think what he needs is moral support and incouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma, I think he really did enjoy it! I have been that person who has struggled hard to communicate in my second and third languages, and I have also seen family and friends do the same. I agree with you that making fun or belittling a person who is trying their best to be understood is very insensitive and cruel. I know many intelligent people who are looked down upon by some because they can't communicate fluently in English. My instructor for this class was fortunate to have all of us provide him the assurance that you mentioned that his English was quite good and to not apologize. I think all of the ETAs understood. However, I brought this topic up because there are many people who don't, usually because they have never had the experience of being uncomfortable and experiencing the loss of power that comes with learning a new language. Thank you for sharing your thoughtful responses, Ma! I really appreciate that you're reading about my daily life here!

      Delete
  2. I have definitely apologized for not being as fluent in German as I'd like to be, particularly early on when I was still getting used to using it in day-to-day conversations at the beginning of my Fulbright year. Part of this was due to my fear of not being able to communicate exactly what I wanted to, but part of it was also simply because I wanted them to know that I knew I was not speaking perfect German (basically being polite). As I became more comfortable with the language though, this apologetic reaction stopped becoming my first reaction. Only when I struggled did I end up doing so. I do it more often in Chinese, actually. Now that I'm visiting Indonesia, I wish I spoke Indonesian, too! Thanks for the thought-provoking post, Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, thank you for dropping by! What interesting experiences you've had with different languages! I can see how you might give an apology to acknowledge the inexactness of your ability to communicate. Being polite, that's what my mom says, too. How did you come to study German?

      Delete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...