Sunday, September 1, 2013

A Short Tour of Holy Joy Center's Picturesque View Overlooking the Water

STRUGGLING TO STAY AWAKE DURING SERVICE
I came out here after the message to wake myself up, gulp down some fresh air, and lean out against the railings to get a better view of the water. It was a perfect sunny day, with only white puffy clouds dotting the blue skies.

This view looks away from the island and towards the rest of Busan
GETTING BEAT UP BY ABNORMALLY STRONG GUSTS OF WIND
I didn't expect the wind to be so intense. It beat me up in the few minutes I stubbornly refused to back down and take cover inside. When I was finally awake enough to join the rest for refreshments and conversation, it felt like my face had been slapped raw.

I turned my back on this view, content that I had seen a beautiful day, had struggled against a mighty invisible force, and had ruminated partially on the message, and largely about why I was there.

Let's just say I am still very much adjusting to the pastor's different preaching style here.

I don't mean to twist the knife, but I am not the only one struggling to stay awake. When I have dared to look around, some of the adults are out like a light: asleep, with their heads down, and chins tucked against their chests.

You can see Lotte Department Store across the water, as well as the bridge that connects Yeong Island to the rest of the metropolis
CONSIDERING CHECKING OUT OTHER CHURCHES
During these moments, I think: I don't have to go here! There are other churches around. Next week, I will go and see how they are. 

Even though this is only my second week of attendance, an irrational sense of loyalty has already taken a hold of me, and I cannot help but feel a twinge of guilt when I consider checking out another church in Busan. My great reluctance is not because of my attachment to the church itself (though everyone has been absolutely kind and welcoming to me), but because of the great lengths Sookhee and my host parents went to arrange this opportunity for me.

...OR NOT - I WILL GIVE IT TIME
Because of this, I will certainly give it time, give myself time. I will keep going. My aim is not to be entertained at church, but to spend my energy getting to know God instead of using most of it to merely stay awake.

Korean language class after church service and fellowship 
Yes, it's a three-to-four-hour church day, Mimi, but it's only an hour of service. For crying out loud, stay awake!

LEARNING KOREAN OUTSIDE OF JUNGWON
One of the women from church is a Korean professor, who gives free Korean language lessons after Sunday fellowship. Wonderful lady. She even brought us bound copies of the same Korean textbook I used during Orientation, making it very convenient for me to continue learning the language, should I find the time, will, and energy.

MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU
Have you ever nodded off during a public event? What do you do to stay awake, especially during a church service? Is there an experience that makes you feel alert and alive that doesn't involve leaning against the railings of a very tall building with the wind pummeling you in the face? Share your thoughts in the comment box below.

4 comments:

  1. Yep. I've fallen asleep in class before, not as the teacher but as the student. And you shouldn't feel too bad about this, sister. Check out Acts 20:7-12.
    I have found that regardless of how tired I am, teaching God's Word to anyone and/or having meaningful conversations about Jesus Christ instantly awakens me. It's like a surge of energy, joy and vibrancy jolting me awake...probably the Holy Spirit. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, it's always great to hear from you! I'm glad Eutychus lived! Thank you for offering that. I have found a similar thing at work in my case: I am more impassioned when in a position of leadership. I have not blogged about it yet, but I am happy to share that my viewpoint as well as my approach are changing each week. I would love to experience that same surge of energy you talk about. I want to be jolted awake, every day!

      Delete
  2. You people are very hard working i seen you are regularly updating this blog. keep it up guys. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traveler, thanks for passing by. I try to update as much as my schedule allows. I'm glad you're following along!

      Delete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...