Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Exploring Chinatown in Busan with Ray, Another First Year Fulbright ETA

There are a number of Fulbright ETAs assigned in Busan this year, but Ray and I are the only first-year English Teachers. I can still remember the feeling of absolute delight as we slowly but finally realized that we would be spending a whole year living and teaching in Busan. We agreed to explore the city together once we arrived. 

This is a photo story of the day we explored Chinatown, not far from Busan Station. 

This is Chinatown, literally across the street from Busan Station
We were originally going to take the Busan City Bus Tour but, due to the weather, decided to save that for another day, and just explore the area
To get to Busan Station, I had to take the 508 Bus. The commute was about 40 minutes. My host family was worried I would get lost around the city since this was my first time traveling on my own. I shared the same worry with them, thus the many photos of signs and directions (just in case I get lost). Fortunately, I didn't get lost, and found the bus ride pretty straightforward!

It was drizzling outside, so we decided to duck inside the station and look around. Here, we have photographs of Busan's beauty on display.

The station to the left. This is the back-side of the station, which faces the water

More of the city from Busan Station

This is what Yeong Island looks like from where we were at. There was light rain and strong winds pummeling us outside.

Ray and me posing in front of the station, and right before we headed over to Chinatown for what would turn out to be the rest of the afternoon

Welcome to Chinatown. This area was quite small, and only a few people were milling around as we circled once, twice, thrice - countless times while talking

The color red was everywhere

More red, not surprising in Chinatown

After hours of walking, we stopped and rested here - still discussing the many places we would explore, and the places we've been to before and the people we've met.

I noticed this sign and got very excited. It would take us another three to four hours to notice that we're deep inside the Red Light District.

Ray's high school is near Chinatown, so it was only a matter of time before we ended up running into some of his students (he teaches at an all-boys high school).

We made sure to visit one of his favorite shops because the owner loves him

This wall was so educational, so fascinating!

The sky looked like it was on fire. This was probably after the fifth or so time we circled Chinatown. We grew hungry and searched for a place to eat.

In a moment of rare decisiveness, I pulled him into a Filipino restaurant. We ordered chicken adobo and tilapia cooked in coconut milk, which surprised me both in their deliciousness. This was his first time eating Filipino food, and said he really enjoyed it! 
As dusk took over the city, another side of Chinatown emerged. Since Ray's back was to the street, I was the first one to see the women walking around outside in short shorts and skirts, club dresses, and high heels. They seemed to emerge out of nowhere, materializing in front of the stores around us, sashaying about, waving people in. Once in a while, Ray would look over his shoulder, and see the foreigners - men and women, but mostly men.

The revelation that we had unknowingly walked all afternoon around the red light district of Busan was both amusing and disturbing to me. How unaware; how self-absorbed.

Most of the women I saw outside were not Koreans. They were women from other parts of Asia, including the Philippines. There was something indescribable in my heart clamoring to express itself. I had spent the whole afternoon talking yet, at the end of the day, I had no words to describe the weight I was feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...