Thursday, September 5, 2013

My Students Learning About the 50 U.S. States Through Song & Games

Top: Class 1-7. Bottom: Class 1-8
On my first year living and studying in the United States, my 5th grade teacher (Mrs. Neil) taught the class the "50 Nifty United States" song. Memorize the song, and you memorize the names of all 50 states. This was a difficult song for me to master, but it was catchy enough, and we persisted for some time until we reached the point where each student was prepared to do a state report.                                                                  Mine was on the state of Arizona. The report I had to do for Arizona asked me to conduct internet research for the first time. The process of creating this report forever endeared me to the state - one which, even now, I have not traveled to. Nevertheless, the revelations and suffering I endured to create and write up my state report gave me a kind of special stake on this state unknown to me. I became invested through my various interactions with the U.S. states in general and with Arizona in particular.                                                                 My goal this semester is not only to teach English, but also to help my students understand their personal and/or cultural stakes when it comes to their ties with the U.S. My goal is that, one way or another, they will find a reason for learning English so uniquely personal that they will take away something that will similarly linger with them for years to come.
I recognize that, because of their currently limited language ability, I will not be able to have too deep of discussions on U.S. history, politics, and/or culture with my students. However, I can offer basic knowledge (on U.S. geography, for instance), and hopefully pave the way for the future educational and cultural journeys they will take as global citizens. 

Students asked to number from 1 to 10 and write out the U.S. states in alphabetical order. Spelling must be correct to get full points.

Students may or may not be given to cheating during this exercise. 
I started this mini unit on U.S. Geography last week. I have been giving them five states to learn/memorize each week, thus the 10 states the students are writing on the board for the second week.

MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU
Do you have a favorite teacher? Who? What kind of impact have they left on you? Is there a particular lesson they or any other teacher gave that you still remember to this day? Share your thoughts in the comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...