Thursday, July 11, 2013

Eating Korean Cafeteria Food & Other Notes on Jungwon's Cafeteria

Our trays usually have an assortment of dishes on it much like this one! Some days they are not as colorful.
Family and friends have been asking me what the food in Korea is like. So far, I've only eaten the cafeteria food offered here in Jungwon, so I haven't been exposed to anything from a restaurant, or anything home-cooked. The OCs keep alluding to how much more amazing non-cafeteria food is like.

FIRST IMPRESSION OF KOREAN CAFETERIA FOOD
Since I only have the cafeteria food to go off of, this is what I will write about. My first impression of my first meal here ever was something along the lines of: "This is okay...A very long shot from Mama's delicious meals." And I got a little sad because the food reminded me of my mom and how much she seemed to love cooking but actually lately revealed to us that she'd rather not cook at all but actually be the one being surprised by good cooking, and that she only cooks because we enjoy her cooking so much and want us to be happy. So, yeah. For better or worse, food reminds me of home.

Fortunately, I don't over-analyze each food item or meal like this.

I'm getting used to using the chopsticks, and eating the spicy kimchi, and trying out little portions of foreign dishes. And, perhaps even better news, I am learning to enjoy the cafeteria food here, regardless of what everyone else keep saying under their breath.

SHIFT IN PERSPECTIVE
I think my perceptions shifted in a major way when I heard one of our RAs talk about how much better the cafeteria food had gotten since our arrival. That's when I realized that what a majority of us may daily begrudge as tasteless cafeteria food is actually the best meals some students at the university will never get.

RA: Normal food here, bad
Us: Really? 
RA: Yes, bad food. This? This good food!
Us: Really??
RA: Oh, yes! They don't make like this for us, for us students. 
Us: Wow. 
RA: So, thank you guys. Thank you for being here [smiles before continuing to eat]

Bam. Perspective is now served.

ETAs lining up for lunch on both sides of the food counter. I got out of class early so was able to beat this line.
OTHER NOTES ON THE CAFETERIA:

  • We are fed three times a day. Because of this, I've been having regular meals again for the first time in a very long time!
  • We are supposed to scan our blue electronic cap thingies before each meal, but I have heard that the card reader actually doesn't even work so I have stopped tapping it. 
  • The food is served buffet-style on a long table and usually consists of: some type of rice (white, purple), kimchi (always), some type of meat or fish, some type of surprise item (like seaweed - basically my favorite thing now), a bowl of stew/soup, fruit (watermelon, cherry tomatoes, etc.), and maybe dessert.
  • For some of the food items, someone in uniform may be standing by ready to serve you your portion.
  • We have exactly an hour to eat. If we take longer, an older chef-looking lady comes out and tells us off in very authoritative, harsh-sounding Korean. 
  • After each meal, we take our dishes to a central location, where we separate compostable food scraps in one big container, garbage in another container, and stack our trays, cups, eating utensils, and bowls on shelves. 
  • While we do this, 1-2 staff members are usually standing by ready to cart away more loads of dishes, or just observing how much food each person throws away. This has been a huge motivator for me to only get as much as I think I will eat. 
  • After I successfully sort everything out, I usually acknowledge whoever is standing by by bowing to them and thanking them, saying/mumbling "kamsahamnida" before leaving.

2 comments:

  1. Your last sentence made me laugh. HAHHAH. Literally.
    That's the difference between us and other people. We have the ability to see in another perspective because we came from the lowest and ended up "on top." I don't mean to quote Drake but ...Started from the bottom now we're here. hahah

    It's truly a blessing and I wouldn't have wanted to start our lives any other way. Coming from an impoverished background, we see clearer what is offered to us and how lucky we truly are to be experiencing the things we are experiencing. It's amazing.

    I'm so proud to have a sister like you who doesn't have a heart of a complainer but of a thankful one. You are someone to look up to not just for me but among your peers as well. I wish I could have kimchi with my meals.

    Enjoy the food and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, your comments are very encouraging (not to mention funny!). I think you're right. Our earlier experiences have definitely allowed us to see that there is so much to be thankful for in life. This is not always easy for me to do, but it is something I am going to try and cultivate more in the coming year(s).

      My kimchi-eating skills is getting better! More updates to come.

      Delete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...