Friday, July 12, 2013

Photo Scavenger Hunt in Goesan

Some photos I took while walking around Goesan for an hour during a photo scavenger hunt!
After Korean language classes in the morning and teaching workshops in the afternoon, the OCs divided us up into teams of 4 (each member coming from a different House) and sent us out on a photo scavenging hunt in Goesan. I was pretty excited since I have never participated in a photo scavenger hunt before and have always wanted to!

THE SCAVENGER HUNT
There were about 20 teams. The first five teams to come back with all of the photos would earn 15 points for the House of each team member. The second five teams to come back would earn 10 points.

We were the first group out the door, but other groups quickly overtook us by running. My group had three Korean language beginners and only one Intermediate language student. We got by by having the Intermediate member ask the locals for directions to most places: the hospital, the bus terminal, the stationary store, the coffee shop, the convenience store, the bars, etc.

One older lady who we happened upon actually led us to the hospital. She walked ahead of us and was so sweet and thoughtful. I was very impressed by her kindness. On our way there, another group saw us being led by the older lady and shook their heads at us, smiling.

We checked off all of our items within one hour, except one: taking a picture of the Jungwon shuttle bus at the bus terminal. Since we had just missed the bus heading to Jungwon, we had to wait 40-45 minutes for another bus to come by. By this time, there were 5-6 different groups all huddled around the terminal waiting for the bus and poised to be the first ones on.

A CONVERSATION ABOUT PHILIPPINE MANGOES AND FILIPINO BEAUTY
I got to chat with some of my team members and found out that one of them is actually interested in traveling to the Philippines during our winter break! I was very excited to hear this since I am also very much interested in visiting to see family and relatives!

Me: So, why do you want to go to the Philippines?
Jennifer: To be honest, I love mangoes. I heard the Philippines has great mangoes!
Me: Ohhh, I love mangoes, too! We have the best in the world, basically.
Jennifer: I'm definitely thinking about going. I also am just very curious!
Me: Oh, yeah? About what??
Jennifer: Well, every person I've seen or met from the Philippines have had amazing hair, and been really beautiful. I want to see for myself if this is a normal thing!
Me: Haha! Well, I would have to *ahem* agree that most Filipinos are beautiful and generally have amazing hair [Exaggerating every movement, I run my hands through my hair and shake my head to the side, causing my hair to dramatically cascade to one side]
[The group laughs]
Jennifer: Haha! So you must be Filipino. Are you Filipino?
Me: Yes I am!

While here in Korea, I have the amazing privilege of representing not only the U.S. but also the Philippines. Always glad to represent wherever I am!

PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT OUTCOME
We were the 12th team to finish, so none of the members of our team managed to earn any points for our respective Houses. Sad days :)

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha! That was a funny conversation you have there. Are you really thinking of going to Philippines Mi? I hope we can Skype and talk when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma, of course, I'm really considering it! I am in ASIA right now! With my current plans for grad school, it will be ages before I am this close to the Philippines again!

      Delete
  2. Oh man, that would be amazing to go to the Philippines!But you should definitely consider going to Thailand or any country nearby since you're already in that area. I like reading about your adventures. This one sounded awesome and I'm glad you got to partake on a scavenger hunt that you've always wanted to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, while writing this post about the scavenger hunt, I was actually remembering the one that you did with your youth group many years ago (the one with Pastor Dave). I'm glad I finally had the chance, too! It was a lot of fun, even though we didn't win. As for the Philippines, it really REALLY would be amazing. I will see about traveling to other countries. I know if I asked the question of "What Would Christy Do?" (WWCD), I know that the answer would be, GO. NOW. Haha! You inspire me with your ability to get as much out of any situation as you can.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you know what my answer would be in every situation. I know it's corny but You Only Live Once dude. Get the most out of life. The most you will regret are the things you NEVER did. So just go for it, not matter how many people tell you it's dangerous or it's too much money. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You WOULD give me dangerous and expensive advice! Haha. I know what you mean. I will take your advice but on a case-by-case basis! Fair enough?

      Delete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...