Friday, August 9, 2013

Seoul Day 1 | Visiting the Fulbright Building, Attending a Pool Party at the Ambassador's Residence, Networking, Checking In at Our Hotel

Our day began very early this morning as we headed over for a four-day weekend at Seoul. Our itinerary is packed, so it has been a challenge for me to both participate and be in the moment and record and reflect - all at rapid-fire speed. 

The following is a photo story of my/our day:

This is Andrew, our new Program Coordinator, leading a group of ETAs on our way to the Fulbright building.

After a short but very sweaty walk, the ETAs all behold the Fulbright building, a few blocks away from our hotel, where we had left our heavy luggage.
While in this building, we reviewed our contract for the year, ate lunch, and attended a medical-related talk by a prominent doctor.

After the talk, we took the subway and headed over to the Ambassador's Residence. This is a few steps from the gate, with guards standing everywhere.

The officials individually confirmed that we were invited to the party. Very official stuff, even though the ambassador himself would not be present.

The trek to this destination was even sweatier than the one to the Fulbright building. Once again, I was wearing skinny jeans, and felt like I was suffocating inside my own skin. 
I had the pleasure of speaking with a couple of folks who work for the U.S. embassy and have Korean ties. Most of our conversation centered on volunteer opportunities and research interests. We also had time to discuss Chang-rae Lee's novel A Gesture Life, the Korean Comfort Women System depicted within its pages, and human trafficking and sexual slavery today in Korea.

Such heavy topics for first encounters. This happens a lot to me. Fortunately, the ladies I spoke with had similar interests, or at least a working knowledge of the things that each of us brought up. They have jobs very relevant to the topics, and have connections and resources they were willing to share with me. Sweet.

If all networking experiences could only be as interesting, productive, and relaxing as this one...

The Pool Party at the Ambassador's Residence. Top: A group of ETAs soaking their feet in the water right after our long, sweaty travel. Bottom Right: Everyone gathering up to hear Mrs. Shim speak. Bottom Left: Ashlee helping Mrs. Shim project her voice, in vain.
We had a really delicious dinner after Mrs. Shim's talk. ETAs swam in the pool before, during, and after our meal.

Our room at the Best Western Hotel/Seoul Garden Hotel! We had comfy beds and a great view of city streets and buildings.
We came back to the hotel and checked in. I rode a taxi with Elaine's group, so I was the first one to arrive and see our room. The sight of real beds had never excited me as they did tonight!

Like me, Jean tested the beds right when we got there. Unlike me, Jean was able to wake up and get up from the bed.
By 8:00 p.m. I was out.

Everyone else went out to party in Seoul.

MY QUESTION FOR YOU: 
What would you have done on your first night in Seoul? Share your honest thoughts in the comment box below.

2 comments:

  1. Emily's soo happy looking at your pictures. She's very interested and enjoying her self viewing them. The hotel room is very nice. I'm glad you have pleasant experience in that party Mi and was able to speak those kind of people. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma, I'm glad to hear that Emily is also looking through my posts! Does she try to read what I write? How much can she understand? I am so curious what she's thinking when she looks at the photos!

      Delete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...