Thursday, April 17, 2014

Stoked: Teaching an Extra Class with Second-Graders During Ninth Period

Slowly but surely (emphasis on slowly), I will revive this blog!

With eight of my nine students giving our best "serious" pose outside the school 
NEW CLASS, NEW OPPORTUNITIES
Last night, I walked back to school in time for 9th Period, when I would meet students in a class I had just been asked to take up. The class is new, made up of nine of my former first-graders, and has some funding. I have absolute freedom as far as the content, structure, media, and even location of the class (didn't I say I was stoked for this?)!

THE PERKS
Because this is considered over and above my normal teaching load, I will be getting extra pay to teach this class in 10 sessions (Praise God for the generosity of my school, not to mention my contract!).

THE CHALLENGES
Now, having taught 10-week (or quarter-long) introductory courses for freshmen at the UW as well as 10-week Focus Groups for the CHID Department, I know that 10, 1-hour-long class sessions are nothing, especially when said 10 class sessions have to be spread out between May and December. This is nearly a whole academic year (!) - a timeline which *ahem* actually implicitly assumes my application to renew for a second year will be approved.

My main challenge will be to really plan and squeeze as much out of each class session as possible. Despite the fact that the nine students selected for this class appear to be extremely enthusiastic, high-achieving, and highly-motivated, I know I will face the related challenge of keeping the purpose of the class clear to them, and maintaining their excitement for said purpose - for a whole year.

THE STARRY-EYED LOOKS
Since I returned to school for the new academic year, my now-second-grade students have been cheerfully bumping into me in the halls, assaulting me with their excited-but-almost-accusatory inquiries of, "Teacher, why we no class together?!?! WHY TEACHER?!?!" I smile broadly while working to extract myself from clinging arms and starry-eyed looks by explaining/reminding them that, "Aww, I miss you, too! But I only teach first graders, remember?? [insert sympathetic pout here]."

They pout back at me and, seeming to find no other choice but to accept my explanation, are soon found waving goodbye at me, blowing me kisses, and skipping down the halls arm-in-arm with their classmates.

These are the students who I will have the privilege of teaching again!

1 comment:

  1. You seemed to have wonderful students Mi. It's sad that you can't teach them anymore.

    ReplyDelete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...