Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Parable of the Lost Seaman & Other Stories from Our Ship Ministry

Our ship ministry is with Korean International Maritime Mission in the Port of Busan. I became involved when the church told me such a ministry existed and, upon conferring me with this knowledge, simply expected that I would be a part of it. Thus began my trips to the Port on many a Saturday morning.

WHAT WE DO WHEN WE DO "SHIP MINISTRY"
Once or twice a month, I join Jibsanim John, a former sea captain and member of Ttang Ggeut Church's English service, as he drives to the Port of Busan and ministers to the seamen currently docked there. Most of them are Filipinos, making Russel's presence vital. We board the ships (lately joined by students from Korea Maritime & Ocean University who lead worship), and settle into their dining area where we spread devotionals, magazines, and Bibles. Sometimes, we bring food and small gifts, which disappear quickly from our extended hands. One time, we have even brought wifi on board with us - something that really excited the men, who hardly paid attention to Russel's message as they logged on to their various mobile devices and checked their Facebook and email accounts.

Our group along with some of the Filipino seamen we met today!
RUSSEL SHARING THE GOSPEL IN 5 MINUTES
Whether he has their attention or not, Russel usually preaches for 5 minutes. That's it. He tells the men it will only take this long right off the bat. The men are busy, joining us in the dining area in waves, disappearing now and then, and ducking their heads in out of curiosity. Those who decide to join us answer or ignore their handheld transceivers as they crackle, and generally insist on remaining standing even as we ourselves recline in chairs - one tuning a guitar here, another nervously shuffling music sheets there, and yet another engaging a neighbor in conversation.

Sometimes, we will have 12 men; sometimes eight; sometimes three; and sometimes just one.

THE PARABLE OF THE LOST SEAMAN
When it is just the one, I often think something along the lines of, "...Wait - what? This is it?! This is what the 12 of us came here for??

And then I get over myself and remember that even just the one is worth all of our efforts. We do not go to the ships just to bring magazines for the men's entertainment, or food for their enjoyment, or wifi for their leisure. We come to share the very good news of Jesus Christ. If only one man hears this news and comes to receive it right then or later, it is worth it!

Reminding myself of the parable of the lost sheep in Luke has changed the internal monologue that plays in my head when we go out. Even when we board a ship where none of the seamen are available to meet with us, it is still worth it. They know we are there. They know we came for them. They know we will come again. 

THE BEGINNING: BOARDING THE SHIP




LOGGING IN OUR INFORMATION




READY, SET, ENTER



SEXY PHOTO CALENDARS & MY THOUGHTS AS THE ONLY WOMAN ON BOARD
Sometimes during these gatherings, (and while I am totally minding my own business), it will happen that my eyes will alight upon a sexy photo calendar hanging prominently on a wall. After the initial shock, I avert my eyes as quickly as possible lest any of the men in my company trace my stare and all kinds of awkwardness ensues. As if by not continuing to look, the photo of barely-clad or stark naked young women casually chilling by the wall (as if also listening in to Russel's message) will cease to exist; and as if the seamen who have been living and working on that ship will have never noticed what I noticed within minutes.

The ships have their own culture, I understand. But, man, is it super awkward to be the only woman on a ship full of men! Even though I am clothed in layers, I feel immediately exposed. This has happened a couple of times.

One of these times, Russel was standing immediately in front of the calendar. He continued to talk to the men, encouraging them in their walk in faith, and challenging them to call on God that night before they go to bed. There was no way he did not see the picture, and I was curious if he would ever acknowledge it. And how.

Add caption

MEN STANDING UP FOR WOMEN IN FRONT OF OTHER MEN
And, eventually, he did. I don't remember exactly what he said, but I do remember that his words didn't condemn or judge. He spoke what to me seemed like the language of men and, once again, challenged them even in this area. Because I was hyper conscious of the photo, I may have subconsciously evaluated the manner in which he handled this situation. I would give him a solid B-. There is a lot of room for improvement (especially because he was very vague and round-about when he addressed it), but he nevertheless did what most men would not even think to do.

Men standing up for women in front of other men. That's what we need more of.

TAKING OUR LEAVE



HEADING OFF TO THE NEXT SHIP




A bit grainy because this was taken inside the van

The other ship we boarded

The aftermath
UNEXPECTED OPPORTUNITIES TO SPEAK VISAYA
It is usually mid-afternoon when we finish and return to the Seamen's Center.

I am glad to be a part of all of this even though many things are new, and even when I hardly understand what's really going on. Often, there will be men hailing from central or southern Philippines and I am able to talk to them in their native tongue. They are amazed when they hear me speak - some having assumed that I am, somehow, Korean or a woman of a different nationality. A handful of them have asked if I am not a Filipina married to an older Korean man, alluding to many instances when this is the case.

These are the moments when my research as an undergrad stares me straight in the face, and I blink. 

2 comments:

  1. Mimi, you continue to amaze me. With what little I've read and seen about you, I know you are not a quitter. So I'm not surprised that you are keeping on despite the sparse attendance in these meetings at times.You have accomplished much of significance in your young life. I have no doubt you will go on to achieve much more for yourself, for your family, for others, and most of all, for your Lord. Thanks again for helping Ruzz in these endeavors. I am proud of you both.

    Tito Abe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tito Abe, you are right! I am not a quitter. I am an Overcomer! Years of hardship have helped cultivate this. Thank you for your confidence in me. I appreciate you visiting my blog and I enjoy reading your comments!

      Delete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...