Sunday, April 27, 2014

Typical Sunday at Holy Joy Center, Ttang Ggeut Church's English Service

REFLECTING ON HOW THINGS HAVE CHANGED
I realize I have not written much about Holy Joy Center, my home church here in Busan, since I first posted about it here. Back in September when I wrote that, I was struggling with whether or not to stay with this church out of a sense of boredom. Even in that initial post, I was aware that my mentality of expecting to be entertained at church was a sign of my immaturity and would be a roadblock to my goal to grow spiritually. 

I am glad that I gave it a chance. I am glad that I stayed. I am glad that I woke up long enough from my stupor to actually begin giving back to this church instead of expecting for my presence and attention to be continuously "won over," as if I had yet to be convinced of something. 

Russel doing what he loves
HOLY JOY CENTER'S ENGLISH SERVICE
Russel gave the message today on "Christ's Rest." This man has helped make me feel welcome and at home not only in Holy Joy but in Busan (if not the whole of South Korea). His friendship has served to quickly absorb me into the various communities he had already become a part of. Everyone who has welcomed and loved Russel has welcomed and loved me here as well, which only increases my gratitude towards him.

I have seen first-hand how he loves this church through various acts of service. This kind of spirit is sweet to me - something I want to emulate. My time here would definitely not be the same without his friendship and guidance!

WELCOMING THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY
Some of those who regularly attend come from: Cambodia, South Africa, Myanmar, Bangladesh, the United States, and the Philippines - along with a number of Koreans who, on top of attending the 11 a.m. Korean service, also make the time to join us foreigners for afternoon fellowship. I appreciate this!

I have made many wonderful friends - old and young alike - and have been further exposed to the diversity of the body of Christ. 


MY KOREAN YOUNGER SISTERS
The girls are enchanted by my long hair. Seemingly every Sunday now, at least a couple of them will begin following me around, remind me that I have the longest hair they have ever seen, and start braiding my hair. The two little girls here with me are named Grace and Joy!



MORE CUTE KOREAN KIDS
Warning: So much cuteness ahead! 

Little Samuel is the firstborn son of a Korean professor who comes periodically to speak at our church. When she comes, her husband and child come, too, and the picture of their whole family together just makes me glad!





I BELIEVE YOU CAN FLY
My church family has been a phenomenal source of support and encouragement to me here. Even when my needs and my struggles are kept hidden, there is somebody who talks to me or sends me an SMS at just the right time to help me keep everything in perspective!

Sometimes the messages directly speak to what I am currently facing. And, sometimes, one of the more endearing deacons from church, who is really passionate about using any and all English he knows, will send me a text like this:

"If you can see it
then you can do it
If you just believe it
There's nothing to it

I believe you can fly"

There was something terribly familiar (emphasis on "terribly") about these words, so I googled it and found out it's from R. Kelly's "I Believe You Can Fly." Despite the lack of attribution, (and the fact that it's from R. Kelly period), I found myself sufficiently amused, especially mulling over how the jibsanim might have stumbled across this man's music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...