Friday, October 18, 2013

2013 Fall Conference at the Commodore Hotel in Gyeongju, South Korea

I fell ill just in time for Fall Conference. 

During our grant year, all Fulbright Korea ETAs will attend two conferences - one in the Fall and one in the Spring. The Fall Conference snuck up on me, calling us for a reunion only two months after we had left each others' company at Jungwon University in Goesan. 

HOW I ALMOST MISSED FALL CONFERENCE
I was feeling under the weather just the day before, and seriously wondered whether or not I would even be able to physically get up to take the train to Gyeongju the next day. 

I laid in bed with a fever and chills, unable to really rest from the intermittent alarms I had set to wake me up every thirty minutes, and mentally packing my bags for the conference. Two hours before my train would leave, I finally heaved myself up from bed, shuffled to the bathroom, forced a brunch in my system, and packed my things before hailing a taxi from Yeongdo to Busan Station. Once I got there, I stumbled into two other ETAs who were about to board the same train as me. 

HOW PEOPLE APPARENTLY IDENTIFY ME IN A CROWD
One of them was able to quickly spot me using my hair, of all things. 

ME: How did you - I had my back to you!
ANNA: Oh, easy. I saw your hair. 
ME: ...So?
ANNA: Your long, and shiny hair! 
ME: Oh...
ANNA: - and I thought, that's Mimi!
ME: Well! I'm glad you found me because I don't know where to go from here...

She pointed me to the appropriate gate. We boarded different cars. My bags thankfully fit in the bins. The train ride was only 25 minutes long. Hugging myself in my seat, I nearly fell asleep and missed my stop. We arrived safely, greeted by Liam at the station in a crisp suit with a bright blue collared shirt underneath (Mrs. Shim's entourage, on top of their professional game!).  

Conference Room we used for the whole 4-day weekend at the Commodore

As always, we hit the ground running with a packed itinerary for Day 1 prepared by Andrew, our Program Coordinator

My roommates for the conference are Tara and Jean, the same sweet ladies I roomed with during our trip to Seoul! This is Tara unpacking her bags after our arrival.

We had a fantastic view of trees, mountains, and a lake! The room had three separate beds, and were very comfortable

View of the hotel grounds from our window on the fifth floor
HOW I PUSHED THROUGH 'TIL SLEEP OVERTOOK ME
I plodded through the different activities, excited by the chatter of fellow ETAs around me, and energized by the delicious snacks they provided just outside the conference room. At the end of it all though, I just wanted to lay in bed and rest. The following day, I was to lead a small-talk discussion on the general topic of "How to Wake Your Students Up in the Classroom" (when they are sleepy after lunchtime, bored out of their minds, or just generally apathetic about life). I worked on my presentation before succumbing to the deliciously warm folds of my pillows and blanket lulling me, hugging me to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...