Sunday, August 18, 2013

Presentation is Everything: The Night I Offered My Gifts to My Host Family

I joined my host family as they attended church today. The entire service was in Korean so I didn't understand anything, but I was able to read quickly enough in Hangul to sing along during worship! Towards the end, I heard the pastor say my name and felt my host mom gently grab my arm and prod me to stand up as he introduced me to the congregation. I waved and said hello (and barely contained the urge to kick myself for not bowing) and was welcomed by many [mostly old] smiling faces. 

PASTOR: I AM IN GREAT HANDS WITH HOST FAMILY
The pastor said something and my mother quietly laughed to herself. Later my sister would translate that my host mom had laughed because she was pleased but felt very shy when the pastor told everyone that I could not be in better hands, and that this family would take good care of me and feed me very well. I was relieved to hear this because I thought maybe the pastor had teased or shared a joke about me. Whew!

The front of the small Presbyterian Church
After church, I waited for my host sisters as they finished practicing for choir. I sat in the back of the church and leafed through a hymn book/ Bible. Meanwhile, a couple of men came up to me and conversed with me in English. They spoke fairly well but discounted my compliments at every turn.

I was able to identify Genesis 12:2, the same verse the family has hanging prominently in their living room.
Apparently, the church was serving Thai food (curry chicken) for lunch (which I was excited about) but, somewhere along the way, my host mom misunderstood and thought I would prefer fast food instead. And so it was that my host sisters and I, along with one of their friends, found ourselves lunching on burgers, fries, and lemonade. I intended to pay for our lunch, but my host sisters wouldn't let me, saying host mom had given them money to pay for everyone. (Seriously, when will they let me treat them?!)

INTRO TO K-POP CULTURE
We bused back home, and they spent a couple of hours flipping through TV channels educating me in all things K-Pop. All of the singers look the same to me, and I honestly can't distinguish between my sisters' crushes. They are obsessed with a boy group called Exo, and especially with a song called "Growl" (in English).

Sisters: So handsome!
Me: Ne (Yes), so handsome [insert forced smile here]
Sisters: Soooo handsome! 
Me: Ne,...but why do they look girly?
Sisters: [gasps of horror] NOOO! Not girly! Handsome! 
Me: Ah! Okay, okay! Yeah, I guess that one with the black hair is kind of cute.
Sisters: [smiles and vigorous nods of approval]

I was extremely tired so I kept nodding off. It took all I had not to head straight to my bedroom and lock myself in for a good solid hour of napping. Not long after though, the girls noticed and, out of the corner of my eye, I could see one nudge the other and nod over at me. I finally admitted that I may be a little bit tired, and was then freed from my K-Pop lessons for the day.

I napped for hours. When I got up, I began to wrap my gifts for my host family. When dinner came, and our conversations flowed freely, with energy and with much comedy, I decided that this would be as perfect a time as any to hand over my gifts.

A FAMILY THAT SHOPS TOGETHER...
However, there was an impromptu grocery shopping invite, so I waited until after we returned home.

This family shops together, even including my host dad!
Here is my family checking out a high-quality laundry detergent. 

The newness of our living arrangement makes the performance of even the most mundane of tasks exciting to me and, I could tell, to my host family. Like they did with the fried and BBQ chicken, my host sisters used me to throw more ice cream bars in the cart than usual. 

A drawing inside the card I gave them,written all in Korean (Thank you, Google Translate).
GIFT-GIVING & GREAT FIRST IMPRESSIONS...
When we got home, we continued our conversations while enjoying dessert my host mom had prepared in the living room. I brought out my gifts for them and handed a single bag containing gifts for each individual member of the family to host dad. They were all so surprised, and so appreciative, and grateful. It made my heart ache a little that I couldn't have given them more. 

They opened my card and read it together - smiling, nodding, oohing and aahing at the Korean I used. 

As if their many thanks weren't enough, my host sisters offered me their absolute favorite snacks to eat. I was already full so this was completely unnecessary, but I accepted anyway. 

Seoyeon's gifts for me.
As I was listening to host dad explain the stories behind the cute little figurines and vases they have displayed in a cabinet (and which I saw him dusting very carefully earlier that evening), host mom came up behind me and presented me with this: 

It is a one-of-a-kind handmade dinnerware, with the signature of a famous artist engraved on the bottom.
I didn't understand at first. I thought host mom was just letting me see more of the household decorations, but they thrust the set in my hands and said I could keep it and bring it with me back to America.

This thing is so beautiful! I can't imagine casually using it to hold my food during meals. The whole family helped me wrap it in bubble-wrap because I did not want to take any chances chipping or breaking it during my year here.

Host Dad: If you break, no replacement. Very unique. 

No pressure or anything.

I knew this before church today, but the pastor's words are definitely ringing true. I am pleased by my host family's gratitude but can't figure out how to react to their generosity. My gifts were very small, yet they have repaid me with somethings much bigger and of more value. I am overwhelmed by their love!

MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU
Have you ever received a gift so special that you wanted to display it (or, in my case, bubble wrap it) immediately? Was the gift special because it was expensive or did its worth stem from elsewhere?

What is the biggest gift you have ever given to someone you knew? To someone you didn't know? While giving comes fairly natural to me, receiving does not. Do you have any thoughts/tips on how to receive gifts graciously? Share your comments in the box below.

3 comments:

  1. I'm touch as I read the story of how wonderful your family you end up with. I pray that they will also receive countless blessings from God as they welcomed you with loving arms and treat you very well. I don't know what kind of gifts that would be enough to give for them. But the greatest gift you could give to them besides buying them a gifts when you get pay is pray for them a speak a verbal blessings that's in the bible. You might feel its awkward but it's truly not. They would be so glad. I'm sure they'll understand how powerful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good idea if you translate it too. I'm just very happy that you are soo blessed to have them Mi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, this entry was so entertaining. I was actually excitedly reading it and found myself chuckle at times. That's you though. You always know how to keep a reader interested. I always LOVED that about you. How you can tell me stories for hours and I would still be hooked. Those were my favorite times with you, story-telling. Miss your sound effects too. :D

    I really do like your family too. I wish mine were half as cool as theirs. But you deserve it. You've been praying for a wonderful family such as them and I was only concerned with making friends within my group.They sound really cool though. Tell them we said HELLO!

    About your question, let's discuss it later tonight :)

    ReplyDelete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...