Saturday, August 3, 2013

Camp Fulbright 2013 Final Presentation + Closing Ceremony + Tearful Faces

The pamphlets I helped hand out to parents. The front cover is a group photo of all the CIs, JCs, and the campers!
Just as I was really getting used to being surrounded by all the campers, they leave! Today their parents came to pick them all up - but not before checking out their hard work throughout the two weeks plastered all over their classroom walls, and witnessing a final presentation consisting of speeches and hilarious videos of the campers. 

I felt like a proud parent when one of my students (actually one of Eric's students) recited JFK's inaugural address. She did so well, and everyone was surprised to find that this was her first-ever speech competition! 

Students who won the speech competitions earlier in the week

All the Camp Instructors (CIs) and other very key people who helped run Camp Fulbright these past two weeks!

All the CIs and Junior Counselors (JCs) and everyone else who contributed to a very enriching English camp experience for the students!
I learned during the ceremony that some of the Korean Junior Counselors were Fulbright campers in previous years! The leadership was big on encouraging the younger students to return for the next year's English camp and maybe even apply to become a Junior Counselor.

It is an amazing opportunity since you get to meet and interact Junior Counselors from all over the United States, not to mention all the ETAs, etc.

Mrs. Shim talking to a parent and her child after the ceremony. Mrs. Shim is the one who started this win-win program. 

I saw so many tearful faces as campers left the auditorium and prepared to head back home with their parents! This has really been a positive experience for everyone involved!

I wanted to see some of Eric's students before they left, and I found a handful who had returned for their artwork. 
A couple of the students asked me for my email and Facebook accounts. After a split-second decision, I decided to let them add me on FB. I might have to develop a more thoughtful policy for the rest of my students this year. 

Despite what they said all throughout camp, Eric's students actually did really love him. Exhibit #1
This group of students worked so hard to make their classroom look presentable! I regret not waking up early enough to see their classroom presentations before the actual ceremony.

I will really miss this class!

The students weren't the only ones who were finding it hard to say goodbye. This is Tracey posted by the door, looking on as the last of hers and Eric's students headed on home. 
Seeing the connection the students had with their teachers and Camp Instructors really excited me for the following year. I will have one whole year with my students! (Well, technically, more like two sets of semester-long classes with possibly different/same students).

A camper making their way to the parking lot outside of Jungwon University

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...