Thursday, August 15, 2013

How a Simple Letter-Writing Activity Partially & Temporarily Immobilized Me

Time has really sped up since we got back from Seoul. It seems the activities we have done this past week have just been fillers as we all anxiously await heading to our various placements this Friday. 

RUN THROUGH OF TOMORROW'S CLOSING CEREMONY
This morning we went over tomorrow's schedule - most importantly how we will meet the school officials from our schools. Basically, the process is very similar to the one we went through when we were given our school placements: dress up, line up, wait for name to be called, step forward, and deliver a 90-degree bow towards Mrs. Shim. 

After our names are called, we are to prolong giving our bows until we have scanned the audience in the auditorium and noted who waved, stood up, or otherwise signaled that they were our people. This is to make it easy for us to find them post-ceremony and make our introductions.

The OCs giving us a thorough run-down. Also, they had us write letters addressing our future selves!
DEAR MIMI, I HOPE THAT BY THE TIME YOU READ THIS LETTER...
Before the run-through, the OCs had us write letters to ourselves.

I got really excited when they began to hand out stationary paper and envelopes. But after writing down the date and the words "Dear Mimi," I froze up. It really hit me that, for better or worse, this letter would find its way back into my hands a few months from now.

Why was the thought of this a bit immobilizing? Because it reminded me of my goal to grow into a better human being, and it, in a way, gave me a timeline for beginning to accomplish such a task. In short, the letter asked me to be accountable to myself.

I froze because I thought of what future Mimi who hadn't grown might need to hear in a letter, and what future Mimi who had grown would want to hear. The two versions would need a different talking to, and I couldn't decide which one of me to address so I did a bit of both. As a result, my letter sounds half-chiding and half self-congratulatory!

We will see which Mimi opens this letter in the coming months...dundundun.

For our last dinner in Jungwon, they had us sit on the other side of the cafeteria, where we ate extra delicious food. 
This is the last evening we will spend in Jungwon. All of us were still dressed up from the afternoon's workshop by Tim Marshall from the State Department and basically sweated through our outfits because the entire place got so hot from our cooking!

Right after dinner, we had Trivia Night, where House Kwon finished last. The OCs still gave us a prize though thus Christina's very excited face.

Letters from Emily and Mama that I will savour reading in the coming days!
LETTERS FROM HOME
In a way, today began and ended with letters. Anthony tapped me on the shoulder during dinner and quickly deposited two envelopes on my lap. They were from Mama and Emily! This was super unexpected and, thus, all the more joy-inducing. I was so happy, I squealed - and I hardly squeal over anything! 

It's been a very good day and night, especially since these precious letters arrived just before I left for Busan. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got the letter and added joy to your day Mi. I'm also happy to see your growing more and more in His wisdom as you expose yourself in different people and culture. The best is yet to come in your life Mi.

    ReplyDelete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...