Thursday, October 9, 2014

Celebrating Korean Alphabet Day (or Hangeul Day) by Eating at Hurgsiru in Gijang, a Traditional Korean Restaurant Famous for Its Sulfur Duck

Holy Joy Center's English Service at Gijang posing by a 350-year-old tree!
CELEBRATING A COUPLE OF HOLIDAYS IN OCTOBER
Today, South Korea celebrates the 568th anniversary of the invention and proclamation of its extremely scientific Korean alphabet, otherwise known as Hangeul Day. I am growing quite fond of Hangeul and, without realizing it, have even begun to use this alphabet to write down notes in Visaya, Tagalog, and English. Pretty neat, I know...

Since this is a national holiday, students and teachers alike had the day off (Hooray for another holiday!). Last week featured a three-day weekend, thanks to National Foundation Day, and, though it might seem like I am getting spoiled by all these holidays, the next one is set to be on December 25th, Christmas.

NEEDING A BREAK, NEEDING A BREAK, NOT GETTING A BREAK
After what has been an emotionally-taxing last couple of weeks, I was particularly set on just staying home and relaxing. Alas, like other times, this was not to be.

While at church last Sunday, I overheard the deacons making plans for an English worship service all-day event. It was going to be a time of bonding! A time of eating! And drinking (coffee or tea)! And road tripping! It was going to be very exciting.

Except I didn't want exciting. 
I wanted relaxing

I didn't want to do.
I just wanted to be.

THE PERFORMANCE NEVER STOPS
Weighed down by various considerations here and back home, I was extremely reluctant for what was looking a lot like an all-day performance in affective display. I was already doing this all-day-performance-in-affective-display thing in the workplace, in front of tens of co-workers and hundreds of students, 5 times a week, and 8 hours a day; days which consisted of my thoughts crumpling past, present, and future issues into one unwieldy and likely madeopseoyo roll of kimbap. Before I turn the corner, I had forcedly swallowed this metaphorical kimbap and, in the name of professionalism and for the sake of my students, had pasted a smile on my face.

I'm a teacher, afterall. 
This is essentially part of my job description. 

However, in other spheres in my life, I wanted and expected a break. I wanted to be at a place that remained stationary; to be around people who I didn't need to pretend to be okay in front of. That or just to be in my bedroom, tucked under my increasingly-thickening covers with the lights off. 

Nobody coerced me to go but the multiple urgings and reminders and special looks from different people all made it clear that I was to be nowhere else but in attendance. So I went, not wishing to offend or disappoint anyone. 

The following is a photo story of this day. 

HURGIRSU SERVING SULFUR DUCK IN GIJANG


We took two vans and a car, with Russel and me riding in Pastor/Professor Gabriel's car with his family! Here, you see his beautiful wife and daughters checking out a huge pumpkin and other vegetables growing around the Traditionally Korean-themed restaurant. Probably my favorite photo of the day before my phone died 

INTRODUCING MY SWEET KAYLA
This is the adorably smart, dimpled, and curly-haired Kayla, Professor Gabriel's older daughter. She adores me and stuck by my side throughout the car ride, the meal, and our exploration of this place, as well as the car ride back home. Half-joking, her mother commented to me before we headed to the restaurant that she had come to terms with the fact that,
"Today, I am not her mother." 

ON TRADING IN YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER, ON LEAVING YOUR FAMILY BEHIND
I giggled, remembering the few times during my own childhood when  I had respectfully attempted to temporarily trade in my mother and father for another set of parents or family. At 4 years old, I clearly remember reassuring my mom that I would be back shortly (a week or so, or even within a couple of days, if she was lucky), and to please not forget that I was Mimi, their daughter. My mom would help a little as I very-independently set about trying to fold and pack my few possessions in a tiny plastic bag. Regretfully-yet-eagerly, I waved goodbye to my mom as I ascended the stairs to our neighbor's house, a floor above ours. She would wave back, increasing my sadness at having to leave home. 

Within a matter of a few hours, our good neighbors would return me home, agitated and in denial of the fact that I had been crying for nearly my whole sojourn due to homesickness, and too proud to actually return home on my own when I had been so willful in leaving. 

All of these childhood memories flooded my mind in a second with no introduction, no conclusion, and certainly no transitions.

From the driver's seat, Prof. Gabriel turned my direction in the backseat and reported that Kayla always talks about me. 

Prof Gabriel: Just this morning, she said, "Daddy, Daddy! Mimi is SOOO beautiful!" 

Really? Just out of nowhere?

Just out of nowhere!
Hmm. Cool!

BEING THOUGHT OF AND BEING THOUGHT WELL OF, THESE ARE HUGE!
I squeezed Kayla's hand a bit and smiled straight ahead, not wishing to make the little girl feel embarrassed. Her daddy's report cheered me immensely because she had not said it to me directly, to compliment me. She had just said it as a sort of morning declaration (or at least this is what it appears to me, hehe). And while it certainly doesn't hurt that Kayla thinks I am beautiful, I was more touched by the fact that this little girl thinks of me and, not only that, but also thinks well of me. Accurate or not, she believes the best in me and expects the best of me. 

The rest of the ride (and the rest of the day) was easier after hearing this simple thing (thanks Prof!)

The girls gathered water from this basin. In the hot, noonday sun, the shimmering water in the basin looked enticing. I crouched down about to get a handful of water to splash on my forearms when I noticed a dead earthworm at the bottom.

Hmmm, no thanks!

For some reason, the kids seemed blind to its presence, so, in an effort to help preserve their carefree play, I didn't mention it (though I did keep a careful eye on any child who would attempt to drink the water). *Shudder*

Ariel, Kayla's younger sister, turned 5 today! We carried around a cake for her, but had to wait until later in the afternoon to sing her Happy Birthday. She was in good cheer all day, except at one point where she had gotten lost and tumbled back into the area where the rest of the adults were still eating, crying and clinging to her mom.

Once again, memories flooded my mind. The little girls are reminding me a lot of my own family, and childhood, and - I will spare you the details.

The famous Sulfur Duck served with a large pumpkin! This was very delicious!

A view of the outside. Such a sunny day!



Ariel dispensing gum to any and everybody who asked for some

Enjoying each others' company as we prepared to take a group photo under the shade of a 350-year-old tree!


 Deacon Yu assisting his father towards the rest of the group

 The beginning of our walk around the restaurant grounds (it was not an ordinary restaurant)


Where they store all kinds of ingredients for cooking!

Rounding a corner to find this view

Old kitchenware and appliances


I love these hanging vegetables!

Ariel looking cute running around and playing with her sister



Entering a building with some merchandise for sale, and a slew of artifacts on display



Hey, these look familiar!

Kayla liked being rocked on this rocking chair. Unfortunately, it's rocking capacity was extremely limited due to design and placement. We visited a mini zoo (yes, there was even a mini zoo attached to this place), and the kids had a great time harvesting nearby leaves and feeding them to the guinea pigs and rabbits - in complete violation of a sign that said not to feed the animals...(In my defense, the sign was in Korean, erm).

FEELING "AT HOME" WITH SOMEONE
I did not get the relaxing Day Off that I wanted, but I welcomed the ebb and flow of memories of home that today brought, as well as appreciated the time I had to create more memories with the little girls. It's amazing how one of their facial expressions (lit with happiness or tear-streaked with distress) can take me back in one snap of a finger. On the way home, Kayla fell asleep beside me, pressing uncomfortably against my left ribcage, but so comfortable- and peaceful looking while she slept in the crook of my arm that I couldn't bear to move her.

I hope this girl will always feel at home with me and around me! Today has been a blessing, sore rib cage and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...