Sunday, October 12, 2014

A Sunday Date with a Former School Co-Worker and Her Two Children

GWAJANGNIM VISITS HOLY JOY
This Sunday, Gilnam Gwajangnim joined our English service at Holy Joy and brought her two children, Ji Won and Ji Seong. Gwajangnim used to work at Yeongdo Girls High School, and also used to be one of my teacher/officer adult students. Even after our class session ended, she continued to come by the English office and ask after my life here in Korea. When I heard that she would be moving to work at a different school, I was legitimately saddened by the news. I visited her at the administrative office on her last day of work just to say goodbye, and was happy when she made good on her word to keep in touch. 

Because my weekends are so packed, it only made sense to invite her to church, which was a new experience for her and her family as they are Roman Catholic. I appreciated her willingness to come, and meet my church family.

Gwajangnim introducing herself and her children in front of the church
After church, we went out for coffee and stayed there catching up and pondering Russel's many magic tricks. Ji Seong, the young boy, quickly bonded with Russel. His older sister, Ji Won and I talked about her life in middle school and what she wants to do with her future.


Ji Seong was very convinced Russel's magic were really not magic, and tried his best to figure out how the tricks were done




By the time we finished drinking our coffees and teas, it was dinner time and we were all fairly hungry, so the five of us went to Lotte Department Store and ate at a pizza restaurant.

It seemed Ji Seong would never let go of Russel after spending just one afternoon with him
When we were about to leave each other's company, Ji Seong kept asking his mom when he would next see Russel. Never mind me, but Russel! Gwajangnim just laughed and reassured him that they would be returning to Holy Joy again and then he could see his older brother Russel again.

It was so sweet to watch the two of them. I appreciated Russel's company during this date because I don't think I would have been as successful interacting with the whole family on my own. He kept his energy level up in a way that I could no longer even pretend to muster, and he did it on less sleep than me and more work before and ahead of him than I did.

A FEW HOURS EARLIER...
This basically never happens: Russel so exhausted as to be catching precious few minutes of shut-eye right after service ended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...