Friday, October 4, 2013

The UW Ranked #25 in World University Rankings 2013-2014

This morning, I was pleased to see that the University of Washington was ranked #25 in the world in this year's World University Rankings by the Times Higher Education! The rankings are based on each world class university's teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook. Not bad, UW, not bad at all, especially considering that we're #4 among U.S. public institutions! Wohoo!

UW Logo

OTHER STATS

  • #25 in life sciences
  • #18 in physical sciences
  • #12 in clinical, pre-clinical, and health

Feelings of pride and nostalgia washed over me as I fell prey to reminiscing about my undergraduate years as a Husky.

This evening, I shared the news with my host parents, who knows next to nothing about my [university] life in America. (To their credit, they can now distinguish between Washington state and Washington D.C.).

My host dad was impressed and high-fived me over the dinner table. He then set about pecking at his own phone screen, and eventually produced the same website I was on.

A moment later, he leaned over to me and, with a happy grimace, scrolled from the UW's 25th spot, to Seoul National University's #44th spot on the list. The happy part of his face was proud that my school was ranked 25th (this was clear), but the grimace on his face was produced upon discovering that the highest-ranking Korean school was #44 on the list: Seoul National University.

SNU's ranking is not bad at all, especially considering how the other SKY schools did in comparison.

  • Yonsei University - #190
  • Korea University - not on the list

Host dad pointed out Yonsei to me, and couldn't stop laughing at how far down the list it was. He translated our conversation to host mom, who was busy preparing more food just a few steps away. There were more high-fives, grimaces, and laughter as the three of us pondered the meaning of this list, of such lists in general.

As I continued to chew my food, different thoughts swirled in my head. including visions of my students studying and striving to enter the best universities in Korea, and ones of my own application for graduate schools in America.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go UW! Proud to be a husky! WOOF WOOF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chengsu, thank you for stopping by. I'm glad my proud Husky self is in great company!

      Delete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...