Saturday, November 9, 2013

Holy Joy Center's Korean Cultural Event at Geumjeong Mountain

Today, I joined my church on a cultural event: a trip to Geumjong Mountain, Busan's most popular hiking destination with thousands of people climbing it on weekends. Announcements about the event given on previous Sundays assured me that we would be taking a cable car up the mountain. 

I had never ridden a cable car before (besides the really tiny one at the Puyallup Fairgrounds, (but, seriously, that one hardly counts)), so I was pretty excited! Relying on the cable car, I decided to bring a big purse, and wear knee-high boots, the soles of which bear no pretense whatsoever of providing traction.

The first time I realized my mistake was when I met up with Russel, who carried nothing and was dressed like he was about to hike up the highest peak in the region (which, unbeknownst to me, we were going to do). He did a really bad job of stifling a look that I can only describe as a mixture of amusement and disappointment in my lack of appropriate fashion sense. We hopped on a bus down the island and met up with the rest at Holy Joy Center. 

Apparently, everyone else had gotten the memo that we would be taking the cable car down the mountain, and hiking up. No problem. I've done more ridiculous things before, like run in high heels to a job interview across the whole University District, and then limp back home, barefoot. 

Countries represented on this cultural event: South Korea, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Philippines, Cambodia, and the United States

A huge map of the equally huge expanse of land Geumjeong Mountain covers in Busan  

The beginning of our hike

A truly candid shot. Love this man's smile and laugh!

In case you're curious to know more beyond the pictures I'm posting here

Irregardless of their age, South Koreans are pretty active. I like their hiking culture, and am especially motivated when I see older folks breaking a sweat in full hiking gear, with their families to boot!

Trails for days!

Some of our wonderful hikers

One of the many photos Russel took of split rocks, some with trees growing in between them??

Another one taken by Russel in the brief time he had my camera

These boots may have garnered me many curious looks along the trail, but they did not fail me! I did not trip or fall or slide even once.  
Cute kids hiking with their families

Gorgeous trails everywhere...


Climbing up to the restaurant



Our view from the restaurant on top of the mountain

Father and daughter exploring a map together before lunch arrived

This tree was so vibrantly red it looked like it was on fire!

The cable car that would take us down the mountain. I repeat: down the mountain

Inside the cable car. It was crowded, with people pressed closely against each other like sardines. 

Our incredible, unobstructed view of a very small portion of the great city of Busan!

Our worship leader giving his little girl a piggy back ride. These are the kind of men I want to be surrounded by.

Beautiful family!

We emerged from the mountain mostly unscathed, with only one lady falling. I was right behind her and was able to catch her arm.
As if on cue, it started to pour the minute we got off the cable car. We all walked in the rain towards the subway station - enjoying a few more minutes with each other before parting ways. During this time, I was walking hand-in-hand with the pastor's wife, who was telling me I was beautiful, that she had gone to the Philippines before, and that I should meet her son, who is about the same age as me. Somewhere along the way, she had decided I would be her daughter-in-law and told her husband so. He nodded and kept a poker face on, while the others jokingly teased Russel about a possible competition. This lady was getting work done during a simple walk! I smiled and continued to hold my white umbrella over both our heads.

I absolutely enjoyed today's adventures! The times I have spent with folks older and much wiser than me have been few and far between within the last decade. This was quite the refreshing experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...