Monday, August 19, 2013

First Day at Yeongdo Girls' High School | Observation Day

Today is Observation Day, so I am to head to my school and do just that: observe classes in progress. I am not to teach. However, I have been trained to expect any and all kinds of schedule changes, so I prepared my gifts for my Fulbright co-teacher, principal, and vice-principal, polished up my First Day lesson plan, and dressed for business. 

And luckily so. 

The view of the school grounds from the main entrance. There are trees, then mountains, then the ocean.

HECK YES #1: MY SCHOOL IS A MERE 10-MINUTE WALK FROM OUR APARTMENT
I walked to school with Juhyeon, my host sister (who also just happens to be one of my first year students). It has been very sunny and hot in Busan so I was soaked in just the 10-minute walk. There were students and teachers by the school gates so I copied my host sister as she gave courteous bows to every teacher we passed. One teacher was helping direct traffic, and the others were there, apparently, to check students' uniforms, shoes (sneakers), and faces (no make-up). 

HECK YES #2: MY OFFICE HAS A LEGIT VIEW OF THE OCEAN
I headed to the fourth floor, just like my Fulbright co-teacher had instructed me the day before, and met her in an air-conditioned room overlooking trees, mountains, and the ocean. 

INTRODUCING MYSELF TO THE TEACHERS
She shuffled me to the first Teachers' Meeting of the semester, where I did not understand anything that was said, except for one part where I was very clearly asked to introduce myself. I was not told this would happen but, fortunately, the previous night, I had asked my host family to help me fine tune my introductory speech in Korean. My host father was all too happy to assist me in speaking Korean and affecting a Busan accent, so I ended up impressing many of the Korean teachers with my very simple and very basic self-introduction. 

I was shuffled back to my seat. 
My school is one of three high schools on the island. It is five stories high. I occupy a desk next to my Fulbright co-teacher on the fourth floor.
INTRODUCING MYSELF TO THE STUDENT BODY
After this, my Fulbright co-teacher took me by the elbow again and led me to the main auditorium, where the entire student body was in the process of lining up and quieting down. The principal gave what I presumed to be a welcome address, and then called me on stage to give my self-introduction again. 

I said the same speech over again (though, this time, with many of the honorifics removed), much to the amazement of the students, who cheered and clapped at the end. 

PRESENTING MY GIFTS TO THE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL, V-PRINCIPAL, & CO-TEACHER
I brought UW cards with me to Korea, and used a handful of
them for my homestay and my school - an opportunity to show
some Husky pride and tell them about my beautiful campus!
After I basically introduced myself to everyone, I gave my Fulbright co-teacher her gift bag and then found the principal and the vice principal to also give them their gift bags. They smiled and thanked me - meanwhile, I was just very relieved to have passed the gift-giving hurdle with both my homestay family and my school.

This all happened within the first hour of me arriving at the school! I thought the rest of the day would be similarly busy for me, but it wasn't.

HECK NO #1: DESK WARMING FOR THE REST OF THE DAY
Everyone else was busy running around, but my Fulbright co-teacher basically deposited me in the Teachers' Office on the fourth floor, and left me there for the whole day. I was given a desk right next to hers, and I prettified this space as much as I could with the little bit of teacher stuff I had brought along with me. I was issued a laptop and promised my own copy of the first-grade English textbook.

HECK NO #2: DID NOT GET TO OBSERVE ANY CLASSES ON "OBSERVATION DAY"
Later, when I asked my co-teacher if I could do some actual observing of classes, like, perhaps, her class - she looked horrified, then embarrassed. Sheepishly, she told me that the day was very hectic for her and that she didn't want me to see her classes the way they were that day.

I nodded and sank back in my seat, letting her save face and trying to mask my disappointment with a smile. I also tried very hard not to look like I was just surfing Facebook and checking my email the whole day, which was kind of hard - since that was exactly what I did...

My school entrance
Everyone was concerned about me getting home by myself, but I assured them that since there was only one road - one straight road, I may add - there was really no way for me to get lost. I found my way back to our apartment, and discovered that I literally live right behind the school. It just takes me 10 minutes to walk because I have to circle all around to the front gate.

Overall, I was pleased with how today went. My host mom greeted me warmly when I got home, and showed concern that I was perspiring. She drew close to me and, without warning, had her hand on my forehead and neck checking my body temperature. I assured her over and over that I was fine, and just needed to cool off.

I cooled off by taking a three-hour nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...