Sunday, August 11, 2013

Seoul Day 3 | "Free Day": Shopping & Learning How to Take the Subway

The other ETAs I joined for a shopping excursion in the city
Today was spent relaxing and recuperating from a night of dancing. I woke up in time to join a few ETAs who were going out shopping, and was glad I did because I was clueless as far as getting around Seoul (or anywhere, really). Throughout the day, my friends taught me how easy the subway system here in Korea actually is. There are little details that even clueless commuters like me can appreciate - like arrows that light up pointing to the doors to take at each stop. Everything is pretty obvious and easy to discern if you know what to look for.

We shopped at American stores like Forever 21 and Macy's, which I had never even shopped at while in the U.S. but somehow gravitated towards as a sort of refuge amidst all the other stores with foreign names and signage.

Against my will, I purchased a navy blue blazer, two long-sleeved "teaching" shirts, and a tank top. (Hate it when things I grab off the racks actually fit well). Korea is the aesthetics capital of the world and appearance is everything here in terms of communicating how serious or prepared you are for a day's work. I am not a fashionista by any means, but not only do I want to teach well, I also want to look like I teach well.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you described buying clothes as "against my will." LOL. You know you liked it. What did I tell you? You're going to end up shopping like crazy because it's Korea and they have the goods! Soon, you will be throwing away your clothes because they won't fit on the way back.

    Just don't forget to get me a little something something ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got you, Crisok :D You were so right. Seriously. There are so many cute clothes that fit me perfectly here! It's like I was meant to buy my clothes from Asia or something lol. I don't know about throwing away my other clothes but, right now, it is record hot here and I am basically torn between the desire to wear short-sleeved shirts so I can survive the heat and the desire to dress professionally and not show my shoulders.

      Delete

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...