Saturday, September 27, 2014

Dressing Up in a Hanbok for the CamKodian Inaugural Ceremony at HJC & My Multiple Roles as Greeter, Singer, and Dishwasher for the Evening

Since I came back from the states, all of the talk at Holy Joy's English Service seems to revolve around the Cambodian-Korean NGO they are working very hard to establish by next year. From zero Cambodians in attendance on Sundays, we now have anywhere between 5-20 in attendance during the worship or singing portion. After the singing, they are whisked off to another floor and another room at Holy Joy, where, I presume, they receive more information about how they can help make this NGO a successful reality for them, their families, their communities, and any other Cambodian who immigrates to Korea. 

During David Jibsanim's announcements, I learn that a few of the church leaders make regular (aka daily) visits to a location closer to the Cambodians' place of residence. There they hold Bible studies, and receive Korean language instruction - among other things beneficial to them (like help with establishing a Cambodian restaurant). Hearing this made me feel better, knowing that there was a steady and personal effort to connect with this particular group of foreigners in Korea. I applaud this church's deeply-concerted work to reach people, especially foreigners in the area, and share with them the love of Christ through practical means.

However, because I don't always understand what is going on around me and because a lot is lost in translation during service, I have more or less been feeling bewildered these past few months at Holy Joy - feeling excluded as another foreigner who does not share the same nationality as those on whose behalf all of the planning and outreach is aimed; silenced by the guilt I feel at the realization that my self-centeredness is likely preventing me from sharing in the awesome work that my church is doing to welcome others the way it has welcomed me (well, minus the establishment of a Filipino-American NGO, of course); and feeling a bit like it is only a matter of time before the English Service disappears altogether. 

With all of that said, I am doing what I can to combat feelings of not belonging by, at least, being a part of the behind-the-scenes work. 

THE CAMKODIAN INAUGURAL CEREMONY

For this event, I was asked to wear a Korean hanbok and greet our guests at the entrance of Holy Joy. With the help of a jibsanim and a samonim, I was ready within a few minutes.

Most of the people in attendance at tonight's CamKodian Inaugural event held at the basement sanctuary of Holy Joy Center
Cambodian Leaders visiting Korea. Church leaders took it upon themselves
to give them a tour of Busan and of Yeongdo upon their arrival


When the ceremony started at 4:00 p.m., I hurried over to the stage to sing a couple of songs.

Professor Gabriel and me singing




The senior pastor speaking to his foreign guests through a Cambodian translator.
Of course, since everything was in Korean-Cambodian, Cambodian-Korean, I had no way of understanding
any of the great things that were being said

A korean girl playing a traditional instrument

The extremely talented son of David Jibsanim performing for the evening

This couple sang beautifully!

Receptionists

Traditional Cambodian dance

Harmonica players
Our singers, who had traveled from Seoul that day and who returned to Seoul that very night back to their studies!

Dinner on the 8th floor

Saying grace before the meal


Some of our beautiful guests
Meanwhile, I had changed out of my hanbok and had donned on an apron, washing hundreds of dishes this evening. This kitchen was my dream kitchen, with its huge and deep sinks, flexible and powerful faucets, and ample storage and elbow room!

Out of all the roles I played this afternoon and evening, I was most comfortable and most confident in my role as dishwasher

This is the view of Nampo-dong just outside the church balcony 
I wish the CamKodia NGO the best! With this kind of dedication, I can see nothing but success in its future.

All Photos Courtesy of David Daeil Lee 

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...