Friday, July 11, 2014

The Last Week of My Grant Year | Friday's Milmyeon Lunch & Coffee Date with Teachers

Today was my last Friday at school. After teaching my morning classes, the teachers in the gyomushil decided to take me out to lunch at this apparently famous milmyeon place in our very own island (it won an award for serving up awesomeness a few years back)! The restaurant is small, but it had a long line all the way down the sidewalk. I was surprised to have never eaten here before considering the place was only a few steps away from my host family's apartment.

A hidden gem. We chowed down, and I was legitimately smitten. 

Chinese teacher and English teacher

Some seriously good Korean noodles. It was a hot day so the cold bowl of icy noodles was just what I needed to feel refreshed!

This is the restaurant in case you want to come to Yeongdo and experience this magic for yourself
After milmyeon, we took a walk to a nearby coffee shop and, again, I was treated to my very own cup of hot caramel macchiato. 
I have been here many times but I never get tired of just letting my eyes
graze over the way the coffee shop owners have decided to decorate the place
My lovely colleagues waiting for our drinks
With a cup of coffee in each of our hands, we made our way back to where the car was parked and drove to school to continue our work. I was set to have a long day helping Stella grade a mountainous pile of entries from a recent English Essay Writing competition. She had shown me the blueprint of this competition before it was administered to the students and I was so excited for the results! I wholeheartedly agreed to dive into the grading once the student entries poured in.

We teamed up to accomplish all the reading and grading before my departure the following week. 

Drinking the rest of my coffee while reading over students' entries.
This one was the Story Writing portion, which I really enjoyed due to the students' creativity and humor
At a later time, I will share some of the things the students wrote and/or drew. This kind and amount of [written] English does not happen in my classroom, so I was pleasantly surprised/ taken aback by their ability to assemble such riotously comical and heartbreaking stories in English!

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...