Thursday, March 19, 2015

MEANWHILE, at the Kang Household, My Korean Host Mom Jenny is Serving My Host Dad Steve and I Fish for Dinner...

Photo from http://trendsontrends.com/, a website about homecooked meals that actually makes me want to cook


MEANWHILE, at the Kang Household, my host mom Jenny is serving my host dad Steve and I fish for dinner. The two of them silently and spontaneously engage in a mild competition to outdo the other in being an awesome host parent to me.


ME: Wow, fish!

JENNY: Oh, you like fish?

ME: I love fish!

[In any other context, I would have just dug right in, but, wanting to maintain a semblance of civility, I gingerly start picking at the fish to remove the bones with my chopsticks and spoon. Clumsily but civil-like]

[Jenny, looking very pleased, goes back to the kitchen and comes back with a pair of scissors. She carefully begins to cut the delicate fish into tinier pieces. And, much to the amazement of her husband, starts removing the bones for me. By hand]

ME: Ohh, thank you, Jenny, but you don't have t-

JENNY: -No, it's okay! No problem, no problem!

STEVE: Wow, Jenny! My wife! My wife so kind! 

ME: I know!

STEVE: No, Jenny is...uh...more kind NOW. She - she doesn't do this thing before! Even to me! Woah, Jenny, so kind! My wife so kind! [He pats his wife appreciatively on the back]

[As Jenny laughs and looks sheepishly about, I begin to realize just how special my treatment is in their household. We continue to eat. And then, suddenly, Steve gets up from his chair, goes back to the kitchen and comes back with a cup of hot yuja cha for me]

STEVE: [in the sweetest tone] Here, Mimi. It is hot! 

JENNY: [Looking at Steve] Wow! Steve...My husband...[Addressing me] He never does (!)...to me! 

ME: ...he never does....this thing?

JENNY: Yeah, he never does...this thing. My husband is so kind, too! 

ME: [trying to continue eating amidst internal laugh attacks] Yes, both of you are amazing! Thank you so much! 

JENNY: [still looking amazed] He never does!

[Our hearty and prolonged laughter is only interrupted when I decided to continue eating, picking the fish eyes this time]

JENNY: OH OH...! You...eat? You eat fishy eye????????

ME: Yes! It's one of the best parts! [and, as if it would help melt their disbelief, I offer] My grandfather was a fisherman. We ate EVERY part of the fish - except the bones, of course

STEVE: Oh my gahh. Oh my gahh...We never do! [His shocked face slowly begins to register "impressed"] Good, good! Mimi, good! 

JENNY: Korean people, uh, Korean people...we NEVER eat fishy eyes!

Needless to say, this particular meal will likely stay in our minds for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...