Friday, May 2, 2014

The Perks of Visiting Kosin University & Looking Like One of Its Students

IN THE FACE OF GOD
I had no school today so, with the schedule cleared, I decided to pay Kosin University a visit. Jana met me by the huge rock on campus bearing the school's motto: Coram Deo (or, literally, in the face of God). We proceeded to have lunch right outside the school's perimeters - with Russel joining us for a few minutes before running off to take a comprehensive exam. Before he left, he gave Jana a chocolate bar. 

Folks, this is the beginning of another redemption story.

A small but beautiful Christian university on top of the whole island!
I waited for Russel to finish taking his hours-long exam.

UNEXPECTED ACT OF KINDNESS #1: PROFESSOR EDITION
It was cold inside the building. I wrapped my scarf tightly around me as I tried to stay awake in the midst of utter silence by reading the Bible (what? You don't keep a Bible in your purse for light reading?). At one point, a professor who had noticed me huddled in a corner table outside of his classroom randomly materialized in front of me to invite me to sit inside his class, where, he said, it was warmer. A lot warmer. Would I like to come in? Was I sure? Oh, okay. If I got too cold, I was welcome to come right in. He smiled before retreating back inside his class and closing the door.

What a kind man! It was so chilly out in the hallway that I began to kick myself for turning down his invitation. Well, he did say I could come in anytime...

UNEXPECTED ACT OF KINDNESS #2: STRANGER EDITION
During this time of great deliberation, a young man passed by me on his way to the elevator and, as if on second thought, walked the few more steps necessary to reach my table and deposited three pieces of wrapped candy by my open Bible and said, "Fighting!" before leaving.

What...was that?

I was so baffled by his actions that I didn't even think to say a thank you or smile before he left. I hunkered down again and continued my reading and only then realized what had happened. The young man had thought I was a Kosin student studying hard for an exam and had done his best to encourage me with sweet words and candy. I laughed out loud but quickly quieted down, remembering the exams and classes in progress.

This important-looking sign was made for,
apparently, only two students in the M.Div program
STRADDLING THE LINE BETWEEN SUNLIGHT AND SHADE
I made it a couple more chapters before getting up to unfreeze the icicle that my body had turned into. I went outside, where it was hotter but with winds so strong, I thought I was going to blow away with the leaves.

I was pacing back and forth between the cool shade cast by the building's shadow and the scorching sunlit area, where people were milling about, when I saw the same young man approaching me again.

He asked me some questions that confirmed my suspicion from earlier, and I found out that Yohan (that's his name) was on his last year as an undergrad, studying Food & Nutritional Science (this is a thing), but intending to go into broadcast journalism.




I'M ACTUALLY A TEACHER; AN ENGLISH TEACHER
Yohan: So, are you a student here? 
Me: No, actually I'm a teacher!
Yohan: Oh! You are! Do you teach here? 
Me: No, I teach at a high school very close to here
Yohan: What subject do you teach?
Me: English. I'm an English teacher

He noticed that I was steeling myself against the strong winds and invited me to go back to the building. I refused, explaining that I just came from there and was actually in the process of thawing at that moment. He wasn't convinced that the process was working and, at the rate that I was shivering, I was also becoming less convinced so I followed him back to the same floor, where he works!

RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS #2B: YOHAN 
He deposited me back on the same cold chair in the same empty and chilly hallway and I sat down feeling strangely defeated.

A moment later, Yohan came back with a paper cup of really hot tea, and left me with many wishes to keep warm before ducking back inside his office.

What a sweet guy!

Princess, Jinky, and Ate Vanessa about to head to their class!
I basically saw every Filipino student at Kosin during the time that I waited for Russel. It was a treat, befitting of a day off from work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

One of the things that will help motivate me to update this blog on a regular basis is knowing that you are reading it. Share your thoughts on the content by leaving a comment.

I will respond within a day or two, so check back to continue our conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...